The Kasbah of Algiers was inscribed on the World Heritage List at the 16th session of the Committee in December 1992.
It is commonly referred to as the area comprising the Kasbah proper (fortress) and all the old city of El-Jazair located between this fort and the seaside.
in 1516, the Turkish corsair Khair al-Din installs its capital in Algiers. It makes it a fortified city by constructing imposing ramparts, which are at the origin of the Casbah. Six gates connect the old city, the port and the rest of the country. The growth of the city is reflected by the development of built spaces, including two-storey houses.
Even if, at the time, the Ottomans are present along a large part of the Algerian littoral, the Turkish power intervenes little in the local affairs of Algiers. Bey Khair al-Din thrives the city by combining military strength and the development of trade. The city is prosperous until the seventeenth century. In the city are then combined Turkish and Arab traditions.
Around 1920, a real interest in safeguarding the old town was born. The first studies for the safeguarding of the site of the Casbah of Algiers are conducted in the 70s. A plan of development of the Casbah is implemented from 1981.
It relates in particular to the frame of the period 1816- 1830 to enhance the city at the time of Ottoman influence, 1816 being the date on which the politico-administrative center was transferred to the citadel; this displacement led to a new population flow towards the upper city. In particular, it was followed by a priority program action plan in 1985 and a master plan for urban planning and development in 1992.
The restoration plan currently underway perfectly meets the needs of the old town. This includes restoring and rehabilitating the historic fabric. in addition to its artistic richness, the old city is a precious witness of the history of Algeria.
The Kasbah extends over 45 hectares and bears witness to a homogeneous urban form in an original and rugged site (118 meters of unevenness). The wealth of the city is reflected in the interior decorations of the houses, often arranged around a central squared courtyard making atrium. The winding and steep streets are also a characteristic feature of the old town.
It is also home to twelve mosques, including the Djamaa el-Kebir mosque of the eleventh century. The citadel that housed several residential palaces and religious buildings o? sat the Algerian power before 1830 is the subject since 1985 of a vast restoration plan.